Publications & Notable Cases
60 East 42nd Street
New York, NY 10165
Divorce & Family Law Attorney & Mediator
60 East 42nd Street, 40th Floor
New York, NY 10165
As a New York State judge, I wrote extensively in the field of matrimonial and family law. I published opinions concerning grounds for divorce, interpretation of prenuptial agreements, custody of children, equitable distribution, jurisdiction of New York State courts over divorce cases, and the parental rights of same-sex partners. These published opinions along with a brief summary include:
- Guerrand-Hermes v Guerrand-Hermes (2009)- interpretation of relationship between New York and French prenuptial agreements;
- Smith v Walsh- Smith (2008)- “YouTube” divorce trial: husband granted divorce for cruel and inhuman treatment by wife for rant on YouTube video;
- Debra H. v Janice R (2008)- same-sex partner entitled to hearing to determine parental rights to non-biological child;
- A.F. v S.F (2007)- discontinuance of divorce case conditioned on retention by court of jurisdiction over the custody of the children;
- Zelman v Zelman(2007)-right of attorney to lien on property subject to equitable distribution;
- Kramer v Paronen(2006)-long-arm jurisdiction over financial matters and residence requirements for divorce cases.
In the more than twenty years serving as a New York State judge, I presided over a number of high-profile trials. These trials along with a brief summary include:
- Ferguson v Combs-civil trial of Sean “Puffy” Combs for false imprisonment of his limo driver following flight from Club New York ;
- Smith v Walsh-Smith-“YouTube” divorce trial for cruel and inhuman treatment by wife for rant on YouTube video;
- People v Rodriguez-criminal trial for car-jacking robbery of Queen Latifah, singer and actress;
- People v Hirschfeld-criminal trial of real estate mogul for solicitation to kill his business partner;
- People v Hubrecht-criminal trial of landlord for murder of his rent-controlled tenant;
- People v Ko-criminal trial for murder of Korean Columbia Law School student by her boyfriend.
Harold B. Beeler, Esq. | 60 East 42nd St., New York, New York 10165 | Phone: (212) 687- 3822
Copyright 2010 Harold B. Beeler: Divorce Lawyer NY. All Rights Reserved.